20120110

a simple idea ....... from liina klauss

As a fashion designer I had the privilege of working and living in Tokyo in 2001 and I feel deeply grateful for the time spent in this beautiful country. When the earthquake and tsunami hit in 2011 I felt the urge to help. Being a mother myself I especially feel for the traumatized children of 3.11. So I came up with theidea of a colouring and activity book, sharing the one thing I cherish most: creativity!
Rather than money, I want to give that which comes from my heart and hands.... drawing, painting, paper cutting, printing, or simply appreciating artwork! I got in touch with the people who I met along my path as an artist: illustrators, designers and artists from all over the globe, from Hong Kong, Berlin, New York, and London, to name just a few. I asked them to help me illustrate this book and there was a big 'yes!' from their sides. 
This is how "I love Japan" was born: each one of us illustrated and donated two pages, all in all a book of 48 pages. The result is a book to be creative with, to colour in, to cut out, to skribble, to continue drawing or to simply look at and enjoy.  The book is ready for distribution since beginning of March. The first print run is 2000 copies, of which 1000 copies will go to Japanese children:))


Each book sold will ensure a book that can be given to a child in Japan!


If you got any questions concerning this project please feel free to contact me: japanilove2011(at)gmail(dot)com


This flower is called 'Pink Sorrel' (oxalis regnellii). It is native to Hong Kong and it blooms in March. I have been portraying it on the illustration above, combined with a lot of traffic, skyscrapers and satellite towers. The inspiration comes from my great grandmother Else Wenz-Viëtor, who was a well known children's book illustrator in the 1920s in Germany. Her favourite subject were flowers and little elves pushing prams made out of nutshells and carrying primrose umbrellas. So I took the same theme into 2012 Hong Kong. My illustration is much less romantic and maybe even critical of the situation we humans put ourselves in, considering that there are only 100 years between the illustration of my great grandmother and me. 
You can see my profile in the reflection of the computer screen as well as my daughter Lucia, colouring in the print outs on our kitchen lable in Hong Kong ... she loves pink:)


Liina lives on an island called Lantau in Hong Kong together with her two children and husband. 


For more information about Liina, please visit  www.liinaklauss.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment